- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Sweet pies and tarts
- Nut pie
These mini tarts consist of store bought sweet short crust pastry and a chocolate and toasted hazelnut filling. You'd ideally use 2 shallow ungreased bun trays but you can also bake the tarts in two consecutive batches in the same tray.
West Midlands, England, UK
2 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 24 mini tarts
- 100g blanched hazelnuts (or pecans if preferred)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 500g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 200g dark chocolate (60 to 70% cocoa)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Baileys® Original or Baileys Hazelnut (if using hazelnuts)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon caramel flavour or vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg plus 3 egg yolks
- To serve
- double cream, whipped
- tinned caramel
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:50min
- Toast hazelnuts in a dry pan until just starting to brown. Scatter over 50g of the sugar. Do not stir. Once sugar starts to melt, shake pan gently. After sugar is completely melted, shake to stir and coat hazelnuts (careful it will be hot!).
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and tip out hazelnuts. Leave to cool, then chop roughly.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / 170 C fan / Gas 5. Roll out pastry to about a pound coin thickness. Cut out 24 circles of 3cm diametre each and line the holes of 2 shallow ungreased bun trays.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper in each pastry case and fill with baking beans or dried uncooked rice. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, then remove paper and beans/rice. Set aside.
- Place a large, dry heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure bowl doesn't touch the water). Add chocolate, butter, Baileys, salt and caramel flavour or vanilla extract. Mix until melted and smooth. Set aside and cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temp to 160 C / 140 C fan / Gas 2-3. Using the same simmering pan of water, place another large dry heatproof bowl over the pan, add the egg and the yolks with the remaining 50g sugar. Use a handheld electric whisk and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Take off the heat, slowly pour into chocolate mix and gently fold together with a silicone spatula until smooth. Mix in 1 tablespoon of the chopped hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the chopped hazelnuts on the bottom of the pastry cases, then add about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mix and press down gently. Fill all 24 cases (you may have some mix left over).
- Sprinkle over some more chopped hazelnuts, place trays on oven shelf just above centre and bake until just set, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in trays, then cool on wire rack.
- Serve with a dollop of double cream flavoured with a Baileys and caramel.